Airbrushing is a great alternative to traditional makeup that can give you a flawless and beautiful look in no time. First used on the cast of Ben Hur movie, it is now a method commonly used by celebrities around the world.
I have been using airbrush makeup for quite some time. I love how simple it is to give myself a detailed and glamorous look that doesn’t wear off. In this guide, I’ll cover some of the best airbrush makeup kits available today.
Top 5 Best Airbrush Makeup Kit Reviews on The Market 2017 - Comparision Chart
*Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Airbrush vs. Traditional Makeup
Traditional makeup involves use of a liquid, cream or pressed powder that may be applied using a sponge, brush or finger tips. It is undoubtedly the most versatile kind of makeup and features the largest variety of products, with almost every shade available. Post application, it may need small touch ups every few hours and is typically not waterproof.
Airbrush makeup, on the other hand, is a relatively light weight makeup that is applied through an air gun machine that spreads a thin layer of makeup evenly across the face.
Though not as versatile as traditional makeup, it helps achieve the appearance of a flawless complexion in a much easier manner.
Unlike traditional makeup, airbrush makeup is waterproof, and if you are careful enough not to wipe tears or water but to blot them away, the makeup can easily last over 12 hours.
Benefits of Airbrush Makeup
There are several reasons why airbrush makeup is being increasingly used by celebrities as well as common consumers. It offers a host of benefits over traditional makeup, such as:
- Traditional powder or liquid based makeup can settle and highlight pores and wrinkles on high definition photographs and videos. But airbrush makeup creates a much more even layer over the skin that gives a natural look to the face. This look is perfect for shooting professional photos or videos.
- Airbrush makeup is much easier to maintain through the day since it is relatively more waterproof and can handle tears, sweat and water easily.
- It is a more sanitary and hygienic way of applying makeup as the makeup artist does not have to touch the skin.
- Airbrush makeup takes much lesser time to apply than traditional makeup, if done by a trained artist.
- It is easier to create detailed makeup effects, for instance a Halloween special makeup, with airbrush makeup techniques.
- It is more suitable for certain special occasions. For example, an air gun is the preferred way of applying makeup to a bride as the makeup needs to stay on for longer, appear flawless in photographs and can withstand emotional episodes.
- There is a very low chance that airbrush makeup will looked caked on, heavy or thick. Smudging is also greatly reduced when compared with traditional makeup.
Types of Airbrush Makeup
Airbrush makeup is available in seven different formulas, each with its own benefits and drawbacks.
This type of airbrush makeup features finely ground pigments dissipated in pure water. It is good for creating a matte look.
This type of airbrush makeup is usually used for special purposes such as creating fake tattoos. It is also known as temporary airbrush inks. Restrict alcohol-based airbrush makeup to your body as it is not very suitable for the face.
This type of airbrush makeup is the longest lasting of all types. It is the best at protecting itself from water, tears and sweat. However, removal requires the use of a special silicone makeup remover.
4. Silicone-Based with Additives
Silicone-based airbrush makeup is also fortified with certain special additives to provide a lighter and more airy look.
This type of makeup is a mix of water, polymers and specific pigments which leaves a drier, continuous coating on the skin.
Replace water in the above type of airbrush makeup and add alcohol to achieve a faster drying time over the skin.
It provides a sheer yet complete coverage of the skin that can last for over 24 hours without any problem. It feels very light on the skin.
How to Choose the Right Foundation
The most important type of airbrush makeup is the foundation. But most users have a very tough time picking the right foundation for their skin tone.
As a general rule of thumb, it is best to choose a shade that’s one to two shades lighter than your natural skin tone. Another way to confirm this is to compare the shade of the foundation with the skin tone of your inner wrist.
However, be careful about natural variations in your skin tone. People with warmer skin tones will naturally have golden or yellow tones in their skin, pinks and blues can be easily spotted in cooler skin tones while neutral skin tones will have some combination of the other two.
How to Apply Airbrush Makeup
Parameters for Shortlisting
Before reviewing the 5 best airbrush makeup kits in the market right now, it may be helpful for you to understand the parameters used to conclude this products. I have considered the user approval ratings for each product :
- Their price range.
- Their ease of availability in the market.
- The value additions offered with each product.
The Top 5 List Best Airbrush Makeup Kit Reviews 2017
1. Photo Finish Professional Airbrush Makeup System Kit
This is a mineral-based makeup system that is long-lasting, oil-free and contains no preservatives that are harsh on the skin.
- As it is a mineral-based airbrush makeup system, it can stay on for about 24 hours without the need of constant touch ups.
- Since it contains very gentle preservatives and is oil-free, it is a good option for people with sensitive skin or frequent acne issues.
- The makeup does not run, fade, cake or smear when it comes in contact with water, tears or sweat.
- The kit comes with a five-piece fair and medium foundation set that can be mixed and matched to cover several skin tones.
- The kit also features several additional accessories like an anti-ageing primer, silica finishing powder, shimmer and a concealer.
- The mini airbrush compressor provided in this kit comes with a fully adjustable airflow control system which makes it easier to use for beginners.
- It is greatly priced for the performance it offers.
- The makeup layer achieved using this kit is not as thin as other products available in the market.
- The final finish of a mineral-based airbrush makeup is usually not as perfect as that of a silicon-based system.
2. Art of Air Professional Airbrush Cosmetic Makeup System
This product may be a good starting point for home users with little or no experience. It comes with an easy-to-use 110V / 12V DC mini airbrush compressor and six fair to medium tone makeup foundations.
- This is a water based airbrush makeup system that is recommended for people who prefer a matte finish.
- It also comes with valuable beauty accessories like a papaya blush, tropical bronzer, pearl shimmer highlighter and an anti-ageing moisturizing primer that can be applied before, during or after makeup.
- The Art of Air system also features a smart looking black travel bag which makes it easier to carry the makeup kit anywhere you go.
- A small bottle of airbrush cleaner is also included in the package that ensures future maintenance of the product.
- The airbrush mini compressor features a fully adjustable airflow setting for easy application of makeup.
- 6 tones of medium to fair foundations are provided which can be used together to match a wide range of skin tones.
- A water-based airbrush makeup system may not prove satisfying enough if you want a perfect HD-grade look that can only be achieved with a silicone-based system.
3. Iwata Eclipse HP-CS Airbrushing System
This is an advanced airbrushing system that has utility beyond cosmetics. Its versatile airbrushing mechanism is suitable for use in applications such as fingernail painting, bakery uses, hobbies/models painting and general airbrushing.
- The Silver Jet Air compressor can spray very fine lines for delicate detailing.
- You can choose any kind of foundation you like – water, mineral or silicone based and use it with this airbrushing system.
- You can also use this same system for spray tanning and nail polishing with precision.
- The pressure is adjustable between 10-18 psi which helps the user try several makeup techniques and tricks not possible with simpler compressors.
- Despite its advanced technology and ability to handle heavy paints, the machine operates quite silently.
- The airbrush kit does not come with any foundation which can make things more complicated for beginners.
- The apparatus is much bulkier than conventional airbrushing systems and may not be the most convenient to travel around with.
- It is far more expensive than other options on this list which makes it more suitable for expert use.
- Despite its high price tag, it does not include any kind of beauty accessory unlike its competitors’ products.
4. Belloccio Professional Beauty Airbrush Cosmetic Makeup System
This is another popular airbrush cosmetic system that comes with water-based foundations and several valuable beauty accessories. It also comes with a DVD guide to learn the art of airbrush makeup – a great bonus for all beginners.
- The mini airbrush compressor comes with an easy-to-control 3 airflow setting that is super quiet while operation.
- The kit includes several accessories including an anti-ageing moisturizing primer, charming lily blush, champagne shimmer highlighter and radiant bronzer.
- The kit also features 3 bonus Belloccio products : a five-gram jar of medium shade concealer, an egg shaped makeup blending sponge and a 1 oz. bottle of airbrush makeup finishing spray.
- This airbrush cosmetic system also includes a small and easy-to-carry bag that may be helpful for people who travel frequently.
- This product is safe for all skin types including sensitive skin thanks to its hypoallergenic nature.
- If you cannot view the DVD manual, the kit also includes a detailed step-by-step printed manual to help beginners master the art of airbrush makeup.
- The kit only includes 4 medium shades of foundation which may not be suitable for fairer skin types.
- A water-based airbrush makeup system may not be the best option for those looking for a flawless high definition look.
5. TEMPTU 2.0 Premier Airbrush Makeup Kit
This is a premier airbrush makeup set that comes with silicone-based foundation shades, the AIRbrush 2.0 compressor, SP-40 airbrush, an airbrush cleaning kit and a makeup cleaner for silicone-based foundation.
- The pack comes with 12 fair to medium to dark shades of foundation which can be used together to match virtually any skin tone.
- The silicone-based foundations are more likely to get you a flawless, high definition look that may be great for bridal makeup.
- If you are planning to get professional photographs of yourself shot, this may be a good option to consider.
- The compressor is extremely light weight and supports the dual-voltage system which makes it easier to travel with.
- The silicon-based foundations are water resistant and can stay on for about 14 hours without any touch-ups.
- A makeup cleaner is also provided for removing the silicone-based foundation with care.
- This kit is considerably more expensive than all other options on this list barring the Iwata offering and so may not fit in every one’s budget.
- Despite its big price tag, the kit does not include any extra beauty accessories.
- Silicone-based foundations may not suit some users who have sensitive skin or suffer from acne issues.
Choosing the best airbrush kit is not an easy task because every one’s skin type and needs are different. The Temptu and Iwata kits are recommended for all professional needs and bridal makeup due to high costs.
For exclusive home use, the Photo Finish airbrush system may be the most suitable option owing to its versatile foundation shades, valuable beauty accessories and at a really good price. The Belloccio makeup system comes a close second.
I hope this guide will help you choose the best airbrush makeup kit for yourself.
If you have any questions about the products on my list or suggestions to share, please feel free to leave a comment for me in my comments section.
If this guide helped you, you could help others by sharing it among your friends.