Find the Best Clippers for Fades and get a Professional DIY Cut at Home
Do you want to keep your fade looking fresh without having to visit the hairdresser every few weeks? Time and money are two things that everyone can use more of these days, and you’ll be happy to know that you don’t have to sacrifice your style in order to save on them.
In this review roundup, I’ll show you some of the best clippers for fades so you can keep your clean-cut look right at home.
Top 5 Best Clippers for Fades On The Market 2017 - Comparison Chart
*Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Advantages to Having Your Own Clippers
Whether you’re looking for clippers so you can keep yourself groomed in an economical way or you’re an aspiring barber who wants to practice your skills at home, there are plenty of advantages to having your own set of high-quality clippers.
- For one, it’s convenient. You can touch-up your hair anytime you want to without worrying about scheduling appointments and making trips to the barber. It’s also easy and fun to give your friends and family some fresh cuts, especially if you need the practice.
- Having your own clippers is also a one-time investment that will save you tons of money in the future. Every time you go to the barber for a trim, you’re shelling out money that you wouldn’t have to spend if you could give yourself a simple cut at home.
- You can bring your clippers with you on important trips to make sure you’re fresh and ready to go wherever you are. There’s no doubt about it – having your own clippers opens up a whole new world of convenience and style.
How to Find the Best Clippers for Fades
Electronic clippers come in a wide range of brands and types and you can find different features for each of them, so how do you know which ones are right for you?
1. Choose Your Fade Cut
- First, you have to consider the type of fade you want to cut and make sure you have the right attachments and that the clippers offer the right settings for you.
- If you’re planning on using them professionally or giving multiple people some fade cuts of their own, it’s a good idea to look for a professional-grade, multifunctional set of clippers.
2. Check for Attachments and Accessories
- Check for attachments, extra tools and accessories when you’re shopping around for your new set of clippers.
- If you like to change your style, make sure you find a set that comes with multiple attachments to help you attain the look you want.
- You also want to consider the tools you’ll need to maintain your clippers properly and see which sets include them.
Maintaining Your Clippers
You’ll want to maintain your clippers properly so that they last a long time and don’t break down. In order to keep yours in good shape, there are some additional tools you should consider keeping around. Sometimes you can find these as part of a clipper set, or you may have to purchase them separately.
- A clipper brush. You’ll want to brush the blades between each use in order to keep wet hair from rusting the blades. Removing excess hair from the blades will also keep them functioning at their maximum efficiency and speed.
- Disinfectant spray. Use this to spray the blade while the clipper is on and running. Doing this will just ensure that your tool is clean and free from viruses and other germs.
- Clipper oil. Keep this on hand so you can use a little bit whenever you see metal rubbing against metal on your blade. Keeping your blade lubricated properly will ensure that it runs smoothly and will also extend the motor’s life.
- Blade wash. Use this solution at the end of your cut after you have cleaned the clippers with your brush. Simply dip the blade into the blade wash solution while the clippers are running and hold it there for about 10 seconds. When you remove it from the solution, you’ll be able to shake any loose hair from the blades, then dry them off with a towel. Doing this after each cut will help keep the blade running at its maximum speed.
Give Yourself a Perfect Fade with the Right Clippers and Tools
Giving yourself a fade haircut at home is pretty simple and anyone can do it – especially with a high-quality pair of clippers, which you’ll be able to find after you read the reviews below.
There are plenty of video tutorials online that will help you through the process of cutting your hair, but overall the steps are pretty simple and straightforward:
- Dampen the hair.
- Choose the fade line guard size.
- Choose the placement of your fade lines.
- Move clippers vertically as you shave.
- Move clippers to the side across the fade line.
- Shave in small sections.
- Switch guard sizes as you continue the fade.
Here’s an excellent video tutorial to help get you started.
Don’t be intimidated. DIY haircuts are more popular than ever these days, and as long as you have the right tools, you’ll be in good hands. If you know someone who is style-savvy and you’re nervous about starting on your own, have your friend help you – but first, you’ll need the proper tools.
My Top Five Clipper Picks
Without further ado, here are my top five picks for the best clippers for fades. I have taken recommendations from my friends in the fashion industry and scoured the internet to find the best clippers for you to choose from. Here they are.
This clipper comes with five different attachments, making it a great choice if you’re looking for versatility in your fade clipper. It’s also easy to use and made with high-quality steel. You can do so much more than just trim your fade with this clipper. Its attachments allow you to trim your mustache, beard and nose hair as well.
This cordless trimmer provides 35 minutes of cord-free grooming on a full 10-hour charge. It’s easy to use, easy to wash, and has a lot of great features packed into one set. The clipper itself is designed with 18 different length settings, giving you plenty of options for trims and fades.
- All-in-one styling clipper includes five attachments. You get a detail trimmer, full trimmer, stubble comb, beard and mustache trimmer and nose trimmer.
- Made with high-quality materials like self-sharpening blades made of chromium steel.
- Prevent skin irritation with rounded blade tips and combs.
- Designed with 18 different length settings.
- Features a rechargeable battery that gives you 35 minutes of cordless trimming.
- While it offers grooming versatility, if you’re looking for a clipper to focus on haircutting only, you might be getting a bunch of features you don’t need with this clipper.
This clipper provides professional precision and options for you to style yourself at home and get the same results as you would get at the barber. This is a great option for those who plan on giving fades to friends and family or are practicing to be barbers themselves. Of course, you can also just opt for this clipper if you’re looking for maximum quality and professional results.
You get all the accessories you need with this clipper, including eight attachment combs, a blade guard, a cleaning brush, oil, a recharging transformer and instructions to help you get the most out of the product. This cordless clipper runs for 90 minutes on a full charge.
- Superior speed with overlap 2161 blades.
- Designed with a built-in taper lever for super-easy fade and blend cuts.
- Comes with everything a professional needs: 8 attachment combs, cleaning brush, oil and more.
- Runs for 90 minutes on full charge and can be used when plugged in as well.
- If you’re looking for a fade clipper for casual use and will not be using it frequently, this one might include a lot of features and parts that you don’t need.
This clipper is designed for professional and home use alike. It’s renowned for its power and ability to cut through any type of hair seamlessly. Although it isn’t cordless, it has a nine foot power cord, which should allow you enough length to trim your hair easily despite the cord.
In addition to its heavy-duty blades and motor, it’s also designed with super-durable housing that is break-resistant. Whether you’re planning on using your fade clippers daily or just once in a while, this is a decent choice for anyone who wants a professional quality cut.
It comes with two detachable blades in sizes 000 and 1. It also includes extra accessories like a cleaning brush, lubricating oil, clipper grease and a blade guard.
- Powerful blades can cut through any type of hair.
- Built with a single-speed universal motor.
- Housing is break-resistant and ultra-durable.
- You get a variety of accessories and tools, including two detachable blades in sizes 000 and 1, lubricating oil, cleaning brush, clipper grease, and blade guard.
- Although this clipper isn’t cordless, it comes with a nine-foot cord that will allow you the length you need to give professional trims, cuts and fades from almost anywhere.
If you’re looking for a super-professional clipper set that comes with all the attachments and tools you need for a variety of cuts and styles, this is the one for you. This clipper is also designed with the highest quality materials, combining titanium and ceramic blades to give any type of hair an efficient cut without rusting. This is also a great option for home cuts as it’s designed with a super-quiet motor.
This clipper set comes with two rechargeable batteries, an AC power adapter, a cleaning brush, stainless steel scissors for touch-ups and four comb attachments in sizes 3mm, 6mm, 9mm, and 12mm. For cordless clipping, you get eight hours of use on a full battery.
- Built with high-quality titanium, ceramic and stainless steel.
- Charge time is only 2-3 hours and you get 8 hours of use with a full battery.
- Comes with many accessories, including two rechargeable batters, a cleaning brush, stainless steel scissors and four comb attachments.
- Super-quiet motor makes it great for home cuts without disturbing the family.
- Does not include oil accessories.
This is a nice economical clipper choice for home use. It’s built with lightweight aluminum that is virtually unbreakable and a magnetic motor that allows it to stay cool even after continuous use.
With this clipper, there is no need for extra attachments because it’s designed with a single-lever adjustment that adjusts the blade lengths, allowing you to give precise fade cuts on fine or coarse hair.
The adjustments are conveniently controlled by a side-switch that you can use easily with the flick of a thumb.
- No need for multiple attachments with built-in adjustable clipper blades.
- Easy to use with thumb-controlled side switch.
- Built with unbreakable aluminum housing that makes it lightweight and durable.
- Designed with magnetic motor that keeps blades cool.
- Not cordless.
- Must oil the blade before each use (oil sold separately).
The best clippers for fades out of the five picks above are the Philips Norelco Multigroom Series 3100 and the Wahl Professional 5-Star Cord/Cordless Magic Clip #8148.
If you want a clipper for casual trims at home and one that will give you multiple grooming options, the Philips Norelco comes with everything you need. If you’re looking for a super-professional clipper that comes with all the bells and whistles, including oils and attachments, the Wahl Professional is certainly the best option for you.
I hope this review roundup has helped you decide on a nice pair of clippers so you can get a super-clean fade at home. Save time and money and choose the best product from the list above. If you have any questions or opinions of your own to share, I always love to hear from you in my comments section.