Buying a hair dryer for African American hair can be tricky. As a person with African American hair, you may be well aware of the challenges it presents (and the beauty it adds, of course). Read on to learn how to tackle these challenges and get the best hooded hair dryer for African American hair.
Top 5 Best Hooded Hair Dryer for African American Hair
*Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Your Quick Buying Guide
Negative Ion Technology or Ionic Technology
Most products with quality and modern hooded hair dryers use this technology as it helps maintain the quality of the hair. It also protects the hair from direct heat which can be severely damaging to the hair.
With generated negative ions that seal off the cuticles of your hair, it protects it from any kind of heat related damage. This is especially necessary for people with African American hair which is usually very susceptible to heat and can be easily damaged by it.
Look for Tourmaline or Ceramics
Does the hooded hair dryer you are thinking of buying also contain tourmaline or ceramics? If it does, it adds to the benefits of the negative ion technology. This is due to their materials that generate infrared heat. As such, it does not cause any damage to your hair. Consequently, it helps the good heat reach the depths of your hair effectively.
Meanwhile, the entire process becomes more efficient and beneficial. Also, only the more expensive hooded hair dryers contain tourmaline or any ceramic material.
Adjustable Speed and Heat
Are you going to be the only person using the hooded hair dryer you are planning to buy? Or will you have to share it with someone in your family or friend circle? The reason I’m asking this question is because the same temperature and speed settings may not work for everyone as everyone’s hair is different.
The amount of heat someone with a relaxed mane needs is quite different from the amount of heat required by someone who has thick, coarse hair. This is also true for speed. Speed settings usually are to do with the output power of the tool. The higher the rating, the faster the performance.
Therefore, it may make more sense to buy a dryer that lets you choose the speed and temperature according to to your utmost need at that point.
If you travel often and would like to carry your hooded hair dryer along wherever you go, then you may want to opt for a certain style of hair dryer. That’s right – not all types of hooded hair dryers are portable. Most common ones available in the market and used in parlors are not meant to be carried along from one city to another.
Such dryers come with stands that usually feature caster wheels for minimum movement within the home – say from your room to the bathroom. However, this will not serve your purpose of taking it along when leaving for a long trip.
If such is the case, you may be better off buying table-top hooded hair dryers that usually feature a collapsible design. This means you can easily pack this dryer into a small bag or suitcase and be on your way.
Don’t Forget the Hood Size
When it comes to hooded hair dryers, size does matter. Imagine buying an expensive dryer only to discover that your head does fit into it due to the size of the rollers! Of course, this will not happen now that you are reading this guide.
While you may want to stick to a single hairstyle today, you may want to try something new tomorrow. And that does not mean that you should have to buy a new hooded hair dryer just to accommodate your new style.
Be smart and invest in a dryer with a big hood that can comfortably accommodate any size of roller. After all, you don’t want to be stuck with a dryer that is only good for a few months or years, but stays with you for as long as possible.
Set a Budget
You have decided to buy a new hooded hair dryer to take good care of your African American hair but are unsure of how much to invest into the product? This is a very common concern first-time buyers struggle with, but worry not – I’m here to help.
If you are very skeptical about using a hooded hair dryer and what it results may look and feel like, I suggest you go for an entry point model – something that is affordable but still offers great value (you will soon stumble upon these in the Top 5 list below).
However, if you have no budget constraints and are confident about using hooded hair dryers all by yourself, then by all means go for the best that money can buy and pamper your hair.
Top 5 Best Hooded Dryers on The Market 2017
This product from Pibbs is a premium hooded hair dryer that is quite popular amongst users with African American hair. It is stylishly designed but only available in one color – black. It is made in Italy and manufactured using high quality materials and parts.
- This hooded hair dryer can be used by all the family members, regardless of age and stature, as it comes with a stand whose height can be adjusted to suit the need of the user very easily.
- The build of this hooded hair dryer by Pibbs is solid and durable, which means you can expect to use this machine for many years.
- It also comes with a 0-60 minute timer that makes time setting very easy and manageable.
- The temperature control dial on this hooded hair dryer enables you to set the right temperature according to your needs.
- The hair dryer comes with a 13” X 16” base fitted with 5 caster wheels which makes movement very convenient and easy.
- This 1100 Watts machine is CE certified which means you don’t have to worry about electrical safety issues when investing in this hair dryer.
- This hair dryer is quite steeply priced and may lie out of budget for many users.
Hot Tools Professional is a reputed name in the hair care industry known for its innovative line of products. This hooded hair dryer is no different.
- This hooded hair dryer comes loaded with a pre-moisture system with tourmaline and ionic nano technology that transforms the airflow into a hydrating spa treatment for the hair. In other words, the heat causes minimal damage to the hair.
- With an output rating of 1875 Watts, it can dry up hair 50% faster than usual, lower rated machines. Faster drying means that you hair will remain silky, shiny, less frizzy and soft.
- The front visor of this tool comes with a purple tint that adds a lot of style to the design of the dryer. This visor is also adjustable, just like the large bonnet. Together, this enables fitting of even the largest rollers easily possible.
- This hooded hair dryer by Hot Tools Professional offers users 2 speed options and 4 heat options for a highly customized experience.
- The stand that is provided with this hooded hair dryer is well designed with caster wheels for easy movement and high stability.
- The build quality and durability of this product could have been much better.
This quality hooded hair dryer from Pebco is a high power, ionic machine that offers quick performance without compromise on quality. It comes only in black color, but does look quite attractive, thanks to its classic design.
- This hooded hair dryer uses ionic technology which means that the dryer is not harsh on the hair. In fact, the ionic technology is helps maintain the quality of the hair and avoids making it brittle.
- With a rated output of 2500 watts, this high powered machine can dry hair very quickly compared to the other products on this list. This come in handy when you have very less time but don’t want to compromise on style or the health of your hair.
- This model from Pebco has two distinct easy –to-use switches for the timer and the temperature indication. Even beginners and first time buyers can get used to this hooded hair dryer in almost no time.
- The stand is quite stable when in use, and comes with caster wheels for easy movement from one place to another.
- This device is one of the more expensive products on this list and first time buyers may be more interested in investing something that is more pocket friendly
This hooded hair dryer from Gold N’ Hot is an attractive model with a sleek and modern design. Also, it packs quite a punch with its high power rating that enables quick performance. It runs on ionic technology.
- The ionic technology that this hair dryer boasts of helps maintain the quality of hair even after frequent use. It helps keep the hair soft, shiny and in overall good health. This hair dryer is also infused with tourmaline which only strengthen its capability to maintain the quality of the hair.
- With 1875 watts of power, this powerful hooded hair dryer can produce some very good results in very less time. If you are someone who juggles several activities and maintains a busy schedule, this may be a good option to opt for.
- This hooded hair dryer by Gold N’ Hot also offers users 4 distinct styling setting to get that perfect look you had in mind. This is a feature that very few hair dryers offer.
- It is quite reasonably priced for the features it offers, which may interest those on a tight budget.
- This dryer does not come with a timer feature nor does it comes with a temperature selection mechanism which may be a deal breaker for few people.
This is one of the most popular hooded hair dryers out in the market today. It is a small sized dryer that is meant to be used a table-top dryer.
- This hooded hair dryer comes in an attractive black and purple design that most users reportedly found quite attractive.
- Its large round hood is designed specifically to accommodate even the biggest sized rollers comfortably.
- If you are a frequent traveler, this may just be the best choice for you. Its collapsible design makes it very portable, as it can be easily stored and carried around no matter where you go.
- This Laila Ali hooded hair dryer features an ionic technology that keeps the hair well-conditioned and avoids breakage. The ionic technology also makes it suitable for frequent use.
- The hydrating hair flow technology employed by this tool helps the hair retain moisture and reduces frizz.
- This is the most affordable hair dryer on this list and so may be a great investment for first time buyers.
- It does not come with any stand but can only be used as a table-top dryer which may not be convenient for few people.
I have shared some of the best hooded hair dryers available in the market today that are well-liked by people who have used them. I ensured that the models shared in the list include entry-level products as well as high-end machines.
However, if you are simply looking to buy a well-built, versatile high-power hair dryer with a big enough hood and adjustable settings, the Pebco model may be your best bet.
I hope this guide will help you choose the best hooded hair dryer for your African American hair. If you have any queries or suggestions to share, please use the comments section below.