Having fine hair shouldn’t mean that you can’t use heat tools like hot rollers to get those perfect waves and curls. And it doesn’t. The best hot rollers for fine hair will let you customize the heat generated by them to avoid any kind of damage to your hair.
Top 5 Best Hot Rollers For Fine Hair 2017 - Comparison Chart
*Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Fine Hair Means Taking Extra Precaution
Hot rollers are hair appliances that use the application of heat to obtain desired results. Most hot rollers will require you to electrically pre-heat them before using them to curl hair. The heat and stress applied on the hair breaks the hydrogen bond of each hair’s cortex resulting in those envious curls and bouncy waves.
The problem for fine hair lies in the application of too much heat. People with thick and coarse hair do not need to worry about the heat being generated as their hair can withstand much more heat than fine hair.
However, fine hair can soon become damaged if exposed to too much heat. The trick here is to be able to identify the amount of heat your hair can manage easily, and customize the heat setting on the hot roller accordingly.
Another reason to be extra careful if you have fine hair is that people with such a hair type also usually have lower density of hair. But, there is no reason to worry. I have picked some of the best hot rollers for fine hair and have shared them in this guide.
Read on, learn to use them like a pro, select your preferred hot roller and be on your way to sporting those gorgeous curls.
Types of Hot Rollers
The number of brands selling hot rollers is huge, but all rollers use one of three technologies to create the heat required to create the curls. It is important for you to understand these basic types of rollers before making your choice.
The end-result of each of these roller types vary from each other, and not all three of them may be suitable for your hair.
- Sponge rollers: These rollers use steam to heat up quickly. They are capable of giving you a shiny curls in approximately 10 minutes.
- Wax core rollers: These hot rollers include wax in the roller as a mechanism to hold the heat generated for longer. If you have hair that is highly difficult to curl, wax core rollers are your best bet.
- Ceramic infused rollers: These rollers use ionic technology and FIR (far infrared radiation) to generate heat. Ceramic infused rollers are a great tool for damaged hair as the heat they produce is gentle and non-damaging. The end result is shiny and non-frizzy hair with a well locked style.
Choosing the Right Roller Size
Most hot rollers come in a pack that feature various sizes of rollers, usually ranging from 0.8 inches (20 mm) to 1.5 inches (38 mm). The size of the roller plays a major role in the type of curl produced, and the life of the curl.
Smaller hot rollers produce tighter curls and are more suitable for shorter hairstyles. On the other hand, larger hot rollers will result in more waves and will help add a look of volume to the hair. The big and soft curls that the bigger rollers are capable of producing are more suitable for people with angular-shaped faces.
Professionals also use differently-sized hot rollers at the same time to create unique looks and to obtain the perfect hair volume.
Tips You Can’t Neglect
As a person with fine hair who’s planning to use hot rollers, there are some hair care tips you just can’t miss. Hot rollers are frequently used by stylists on supermodels to create the perfect long-lasting styles. However, even they take great precaution not to damage hair in any way despite regular use.
Firstly, always make sure that your hair is completely dry before using hot rollers. If there is any moisture left in your hair, you will have put your hair through a lot of heat for nothing as the style just won’t last.
Another important thing to remember, especially if you have fine hair, is to use heat protection sprays before using hot rollers to style your hair.
Even though most modern hot rollers come with customizable heat levels, it does no harm to take one extra step of precaution to safeguard your hair. Also make sure that you tuck in the ends of your hair when using hot rollers to avoid the formation of any crease.
Finally, once you are done styling your hair using the hot rollers the way you want, it can be helpful to finish off with a suitable hairspray. Hairspray ensures that the curls last as long as possible which is great for people with fine hair which is relatively harder to keep curled for longer times.
What To Look For In A Good Hot Rollers on The Market 2017 ?
Let’s now take a look at some of the most popular and easily available hot rollers for fine hair.
I find this product looking classy and elegant. It is a salon-grade hair tool that it’s almost impossible not to love this product. The ion technology and the titanium rollers work hand in hand to create beautiful curls while keeping your hair strands safe and healthy.
- 20 rollers make it ideal for different hair styles for women with various hair volume and thickness.
- Makes gorgeous, bouncy and shiny curls while keeping your hair healthy.
- Clips don’t leave marks.
- Aesthetics is superb. The packaging is great.
- Velvety clips holds the rollers in place and the insulation makes the rollers heat and cool off quickly.
- Comes with pins which is a plus, but the clips are already great on their own.
- Dual voltage-perfect to carry anywhere (except that it is not as portable like other cheaper brands. But hey, you get more rollers.
- The only main thing that I don’t like about this product is that it's pricey.
- Very heavy and bulky.
- Though the clips can hold each roller tightly, they are still kinda heavy, especially for women with voluminous hair who have to wear many rollers at the same time.
Why you should get this: This is friendly to your hair, and works on all hair styles. It is also made of high-quality and a good investment if you are planning to use hot rollers for a long time.
The word ceramic in the built of this product does not only automatically mean that it is more friendly to your hair than heated iron plates. It also means that heat is distributed more evenly so you get highly define curls in no time. It is also made by the trusted Hair Care Brand-Conair.
- Given its 12 heat settings, it is perfect for all hair types.
- Setting up and using is easy and convenient.
- Rollers do a great job in holding and keeping the hair/curl in place.
- The curls produced are long-lasting and stays in place without turning frizzy.
- Heats quickly as advertized.
- Automatic shut off mechanism (after an hour).
- The base of the product don’t heat up so you can place it anywhere.
- Cord is retractable.
- The clips doesn’t hold the curlers as much as we want to.
- It’s not travel-friendly. It could have been perfect if it’s more portable.
- The tabs on top of the roller (for safety) don’t guarantee that you won’t burn your hands, so you still have to wait for everything to cool off anyway.
- Having a heavy roller and a weak clip is a problem for some. People I know would by separate clips for this.
Why you should get this: The results are awesome, and you are actually doing your hair a favor by going with a ceramic hair tool.
This steam hairsetter is the answer if you are looking for curls and waves that would last days and even weeks. This is an innovative and revolutionary product that makes use of molecular steam particles to penetrate each hair strand to give a healthier and shinier curl with bounce and vitality
- Gives you beautiful curls in minutes-perfect for busy women who are always on the go!
- The curls last long for days and even weeks!
- The product is of good quality and the clippers are great in sectioning your hair.
- The result is beautiful-gives your hair bounce and life!
- Very easy to use-even for teens.
- Moisture can be easily trapped within the rollers.
- Not recommended for women with thick hair, since the moisture will make these types of hair too heavy to even make a curl.
- Uses heat-add it to the long list of hair products that are “cooking” your hair.
- Steam means moisture and moisture mean damp hair.
- There’s a little learning curve in getting the hang of using this product.
- Using it for the first time can be a tad time consuming.
- The curlers are not color coded and first-timers find it hard to differentiate the “large” from the “jumbo”.
Why you should get it: It’s a healthier alternative in hot curling. The moisture you get from the steam, is way healthier for your hair than directly toasting it with an iron or curler.
This is Conair’s version of a travel-friendly and portable hot rollers. The design is basic and the mechanism is simple and basic. No extra technology or features were added for the advertising and marketing of this one aside from the fact that is portable and it works!
- This product stands out from the rest because of its affordability, yet not cheap and flimsy at all.
- It’s simple and easy to use.
- It has three roller sizes to choose from.
- The rollers heat quickly.
- The clips on this roller don’t leave a mark on your hair like some brands can.
- Curls stay for hours.
- Rollers and clips can bee too hot to touch. You are better off waiting until the curler cool-off to prevent burning your fingers.
- First few uses have a burnt plastic smell.
- Not recommended for people with too fine hairs.
- Doesn’t let you switch or choose heat settings since it’s plug and play.
- Not enough rollers for those with thick hair and voluminous hair.
Why you should get this: It’s a very affordable hot roller that works! It’s even portable and comes with color coded rollers (according to sizes) Why shouldn’t you want this?
Calista did a very great job in applying the Ion Technology we all love from our hair dryers and Irons. This means that the resulting curls look shinier and healthier versus ordinary rollers/ curling plates or rods. Ion technology was used in the engineering of the rollers, enabling each roller to infuse moisture to each hair strand which adds shine and bounce.
- Using this product is easy and fast. It operates in plug and play mechanism.
- The entire product is light and portable, making it very convenient to take along during trips-It comes with its own travel bag too!
- Great for all hair types.
- Resulting curls last long.
- Curlers heat quickly and curls your hair in just about 5 minutes.It stays in place and doesn’t pull your hair when you take them out.
- The clips are not very reliable in keeping the curlers in place.
- People with very thick hair find the rollers not hot enough to give the designed results. (Changing clips can resolve this problem since it keeps the curlers in place).
- Rollers don’t include small sizes so hair styles are limited.
- Not very effective for people with very fine hair (which commonly don’t hold curls).
- You can’t control the heat according to your preference.
Why you should get this: It’s a portable hot roller that you can carry on your trips and travels. It is also an inexpensive item that works.
As you can see, BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Professional Jumbo Roller Hairsetter is the winner of my review because of the following things: results, quality, and reliability. All the products listed here are great, it’s just that some doesn’t have a reliable clips to hold the curler in place. If you can live with that or you would rather spend in spare clips, it’s all up to you.
I have just given you my take on the best hot rollers. Do you have your own take on that? Feel free to comment down below.