5 Best Spray Tan Machines and Why You Should Get One
Everyone loves to have some good fun under the summer sun, but not everyone wants to risk getting sunburnt or, worse, upping the possibility of getting skin cancer. I know it might sound a little too dramatic but these are very real consequences of staying in the sun for too long.
How’s that possible, you ask? Well, as you know, the sun gives off what are called UVA, UVB, and UVC. The third kind, UVC, is the most dangerous one. Thankfully, it’s all totally and completely blocked out by the ozone layer, so we don’t have to worry about that. UVA and UVB, though, are two different things altogether.
Top 5 Best Spray Tan Machines Reviews 2017- Comparision Chart
*Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Why get a tan?
So, if staying in the sun for too long poses all these possible dangers, why risk it just to get some color on your skin?
Back in the day, when high fashion meant being covered up from head to toe and having lily-white skin, having a tan was the last thing that a girl who is part of the upper class wanted. Back then, having a tan symbolized having low social status and being a laborer who worked outdoors, under the sun, from sun up to sundown.
Somewhere around the 1920s, however, fashion icon Coco Chanel was believed to have gotten a little too sunburnt while on a cruise in the Mediterranean. Shortly after that, women started to accept the idea of having a darker skin color and have since associated it with leisurely outdoor activities for pleasure and relaxation.
Since then, tanning has become the kind of business that brings in big bucks. Traveling to sunny destinations to catch some sun has become the norm for many, Some even take the time off from work to really soak up the sun while enjoying a relaxing vacation or engaging in exciting activities.
Along with the rise in popularity of tanning the natural way, however, is the growth in awareness among men and women regarding all sorts of diseases that one can get from too much exposure to the sun.
As soon as awareness of sun-related diseases spread, people began looking for alternative ways to get some color on their skin.
Thus, fake tanning using various products and equipment has become the new norm when it comes to getting some color on the skin.There’s a huge market for fake tan all over the world.
First are the people who want to look luxuriously tan without the risk of getting skin cancer then there are those who just aren’t lucky enough to be living in a place where there isn’t enough sun to get them the tan that they want (like London and most of the UK where Britons spend over £35m a year for their fake tanning needs).
It’s also a certified hit among those who are eternally pale and those who want to have a nice, warm, bronzy glow on their skin all year round. Not to mention, people who turn red instead of developing an actual tan when they soak up the sun (like most Irish people do).
Now, there are tons of ways to get a tan without exposing yourself to the sun. You can fake it by lying on a tanning bed (although it’s just as risky as doing it the natural way), reaching for tanning oils and lotions, packing bronzer on your face every day, or going for a spray tanning sesh.
The latter is perhaps one of the most popular ways to get the job done. Spray tanning is a sunless way of getting a nice color on your skin. It is relatively safer compared to lying on tanning beds or exposing your skin to the sun. Many people go for this option because there are plenty of advantages. It’s quick, easy, affordable, it gives you an even color throughout your body.
Of course, there are a few downsides to fake tanning too. Application might be quick and easy, but maintenance can be an issue since the color wears off after a few weeks and might get patchy if you don’t touch it up immediately. Then, there’s the issue with repeating purchases of spray tan products and/or repeated appointments at the tanning salon which can get pretty pricey in the long run.
With the help of spray tan machines, though, that last disadvantage is something that you won’t have to worry about any longer. If you’re committed to looking tan all year round without risking sun-related diseases, a spray tan machine might just be the right thing to invest in.
All About Spray Tan Machines: 4 Type You Need To Know
Spray tan machines are usually seen in tanning salons, although a lot of women are opting to have one in their own homes now, especially those who are looking at fake tanning as a long term sunless tanning option.
They may be a little pricier considering that you’d have to shell out a few hundreds at once, but if you’re planning on using yours for the long run, you might actually end up saving more money. If you’re business-minded, you can even use it to give your friends a nice tan for a fair price. It’s a great way to bond have fun while also looking fabulous and glam.
There are a few different types of spray tanning machines. Here’s a quick summary and comparison of each of these types:
1. High Volume Low Pressure Spray Tan Machine
Also called HVLP spray tan machines, these are the ones that you usually see at homes and in salons. Some of the best HVLP spray tan machines have anywhere from 4000 to 7000 watts. The best things about these are:
- Quick and easy use - experienced users can do up to six people in an hour using HVLP spray tan machines since they get the job done pretty quickly and easily. This makes HVLPs perfect for those who are planning to share their machine with someone else or for those who are thinking of using it for both personal and business purposes.
- Portable and light - HVLPs, much like other kinds of spray tan machines, are portable and light so they’re easy to travel and work around with
2. Low Volume Low Pressure Spray Tan Machine
This is another very popular type of spray tan machine. LVLP spray tan machines are great for those who are looking for a more affordable alternative to the HVLP. Some points on these types of machines:
- Just as efficient as HVLPs - in terms of delivering results that won’t make you think twice about leaving the house after you’re done with your tanning session, LVLPs are competitively comparable to HVLPs.
- Affordable - as mentioned earlier, LVLP spray tan machines are more affordable compared to HVLPs, although some still consider this an expensive option, especially for someone who’s not planning on using it on a regular basis.
3. Airbrush Spray Gun Machine
These are very similar to those that you use when you airbrush your makeup on instead of applying it the traditional way.
- Light and portable - if you’re looking for something that you can easily and effortlessly take with you anywhere, this is a nice option to consider since it is very light and portable.
- Precise application - using high levels of pressure coupled with an ergonomically sized spray tan machine gun proves to have its benefits and that includes being able to apply even color in the most precise way possible, especially on the face.
4. Spray Tanning Booths
These aren’t usually the ones that you buy for personal use, but that doesn’t mean you can’t buy one for yourself.(if you really want to).
- Offers privacy - since it comes with its own tent, you get to tan your whole body without having other people (perhaps other than the tanning salon attendant) see your body.
How to Spray Tan - Spray Tanning Tips
Top 5 Best Spray Tan Machines 2017
Running on a powerful 300-watt turbine, this high volume low pressure spray tan machine is definitely one of the best spray tan machines out there.
It features a spray gun with a German-engineered nozzle for that perfectly precise and even application which will help you avoid patchy looking skin.
It is also designed to help you avoid overspraying with its fine mist atomization feature and it comes with a pop-up tanning booth that allows you to tan in private anywhere.
- Portable and light - Although this is a complete kit, it’s fairly light and portable and is easy to take and work with anywhere. If you’re planning on taking this with you to gigs or if you’re simply the kind of girl who’s always on the go, be sure to check this one out.
- Comes with free spare parts - Buying your own spray tan machine is already expensive, so having free spare parts that you can use in case the original ones break can bring great relief to the girl who’s on a budget.
- Cup design allows you to get the most of the products you use - This kit comes with three cups where you can pour your solutions into and these cups are designed in such a way that allows you to get as much product as possible, avoiding the wastage of even just one drop.
- A little noisy - One of the main advantages of HVLP spray tan machines is that they’re very quiet but this one is a little too noisy for some buyers’ likings so be sure to keep that in mind before you purchase one.
This set has just about everything a beginner would need to get the perfect tan at home. It comes with the airbrush tan gun and hose and it also comes with a tent that allows for peaceful, private tanning, even in public places.
- Highly adjustable - Having control over how much product leaves your spray gun is a great way for beginners to practice getting their tan on evenly. With adjustable control knobs, you’re always in charge of how dark, light, or quick your fake tan is going to be. With one simple push of a button, you can also change the tanning pattern from vertical to horizontal in an instance.
- Quiet - This is one of the more quiet models of spray tan machines out there so if you’re planning on bringing this to your salon or keeping it at home for personal use, you’re sure that no one else will get disturbed by loud, buzzing sounds.
- Comes with great products - This particular set from Amazon is really something that will give you a lot of bang for your buck. For about $219, you get a sturdy tent, a high quality spray tan gun, and some amazing Norvell products.
- Uneven spurts of product - One common complaint that I’ve seen from people who have bought this machine is that the tan tends to come out looking blotchy because of the uneven spurts of products coming out of the gun.
Being lightweight and super easy to use, it’s no wonder the MaxiMist Lite Plus Spray Tanning System is a favorite among those who love having that sunkissed color on their skin.
- Complete kit - It may not come with a tent but it does come complete with everything that you need to get your tanning sessions going: the spray gun, hose, nozzle, and even a few spare parts and accessories are included in the box so you can get to work right away!
- Beginner friendly - New to this tanning thing? Don’t worry, this spray tan machine is so easy to use, you’ll figure it out in no time! It’s adjustable, too, so it’s definitely great for beginners who have yet to discover what works best for them in terms of strokes.
- Ergonomic design - The spray tan gun machine has a very practical and ergonomic design. It comes with a lightweight sprayer base that features a built-in gun holder for added convenience, especially when you’re working on a lot of people.
- No tent - If it’s privacy you’re going after, you might not get that with this kit since it does not come with a tent. However, you can always purchase the tent separately, if you like.
This noob-friendly spray tan machine is just what you need if you’re looking for something that can help you perfect your tanning skills, be it on yourself or on others.
- Travel-friendly - Always on the go? No problem! The Maxi-Mist Lite Sunless Spray Tanning Kit is so light that taking it with you anywhere is not an issue at all. This is also great for those who are looking for something that they can use to do home service tanning sessions.
- Free spare parts and more - Getting free spare parts means not having to spend too much on repairs later and who doesn’t want that, right? Not only does this kit come with free spare parts, it comes with a few other free accessories as well.
- Clog-free - One of the most common problems that people have with spray tan machines is getting their machine clogged up. Thanks to its non-stick needle, though, this spray tan machine is virtually clog-free and requires very little maintenance.
- Too pricey for its quality - If you’re looking to get the best bang for your buck, this may not be the one for you. With the kind of quality that you get, shelling out about $250 might just not be worth it. The tent, while free, barely keeps the product contained and the gun itself doesn’t feel too sturdy as well.
If you’re a pro looking for something new to try or something to add to your tanning equipment collection, why not give this one a go?
- Usable with any brand of solution - This airbrush tanning gun is great for those who are tanning product junkies. It works great with just about any brand of tanning solution products and barely gets clogged up, no matter what the formulation.
- Quick and easy - It may look small and cute but don’t let appearances deceive you. This little number can give you a full body tan in just 5 to 7 minutes and the result is quite spectacular, too, although of course you have to practice your skill before you can enjoy this benefit.
- Compact - This gun is very compact and trave: friendly, perfect for girls who are always on the road and looking for ways to keep the color on their skin all year long.
- Other parts not included - Unlike most of the kits we’ve seen before this one, the Paasche Airbrush 500T does not come with free spare parts nor a free tent. In fact, it does not come with anything else other than the manual, the hose, and the gun itself.
No matter if you tan at home or at the salon but it’s all worth it if you really want to get that sexy bronze glow and keep it all summer long (or beyond). While getting spray tanned by pros is probably one of the best ways to ensure that your color comes out as nicely and as evenly as possible, it’s undeniable that paying $30 to $50 per pop at the salon is just too expensive for someone who plans on committing to the color.
As for the spray tanning ,machines, I’d say that the Paasche is the perfect one for pros who already have an experience in tanning while the MaxiMist Lite Plus Spray Tanning System is better for those who are just starting to get into tanning and want to practice doing it on themselves.
If you’re still looking for ways to get some color on your skin without actually exposing yourself to direct sunlight then you should really consider getting a spray tan machine for yourself.
Did you find the things that you’ve read helpful and edcational?